Happy Martin Luther King Day! Today we celebrate the life of Martin Luther King Jr. and all of his great accomplishments. This holiday is also a reminder about how we all can be a force for good in our community. Even a small act, like helping a neighbor, can make a big difference in someone’s life. Take some time today to make your community a little better!
5 Fun Facts About Martin Luther King, Jr. –
- King’s original name was Michael King Jr. Later Michael King Sr. and Michael King Jr. changed their names to Martin Luther after German Protestant leader Martin Luther.
- He was incredibly smart. He only attended two years of high school, skipping ninth and twelfth grade, before making his way to Morehouse College at age 15.
- King is to date the youngest male to win a Nobel Peace Prize, winning it in 1964 at the age of 35 (at the time he was the youngest overall for the Peace Prize).
- Today, over 700 streets in the United States are named after Martin Luther King Jr., with one such street in almost every major city. This is not even counting the amazing number of buildings, and schools named after him.
- On August 28th 1963 at a historic march in Washington DC for jobs, freedom, racial equality and the end of discrimination Martin Luther King delivered his famous “I have a dream” speech.